UA Permissible Personal Protection Devices
PERSONAL SAFETY DEVICES PERMITTED
ON UNIVERSITY OF ARIZONA PROPERTY
EFFECTIVE DATE: August 1, 2018
Pursuant to Arizona Board of Regents Policies 5-302(12) and 5-308(E)(17), the following personal safety devices are permitted on University of Arizona property:
- Over-the-counter, commercially available electroshock devices, including conducted electrical weapons designed to protect personal safety from physical attacks by other people
- Over-the-counter, commercially available chemical repellants designed to protect personal safety from physical attacks by other people
- Blades of less than 5 inches
- Tactical pens
- Hi-Intensity tactical flashlight or strobe devices
- Personal alarms, including hi-volume, audible, alert/alarm devices (may include visual and audio effects)
- Expandable or fixed batons no longer than 26” in total length
- Over-the–counter, commercially available keyring defensive tools
If an individual wishes to seek to have a device or item added to this list, please provide the following information in writing to the University of Arizona Police Department:
- Name of requesting individual.
- Contact information for requesting individual, including mailing address, email address, and telephone number.
- Detailed description of proposed personal safety device or item to be included on this list.
- Detailed statement of the rationale for inclusion of the personal safety device or item on this list.
Office of the Chief of Police
Such requests shall be considered by the University of Arizona on a case-by-case basis and a response shall be provided to the requestor as to whether the request is granted or denied. Inclusion of any device on this list is solely at the discretion of the University of Arizona.