On November 15, 2012, at approximately 4:20 p.m., a male University of Arizona student was the victim of a strong armed robbery while in the Park Avenue Parking Garage, located at 1140 N. Park Avenue. The victim was walking in the 1100 block of east Helen Street when two males in a white colored van exchanged words with the victim. The victim described the male in the driver’s seat of the van as, an Asian male, mid to late 20’s, with short hair and wearing an unknown colored baseball hat, sunglasses, a white colored t-shirt, and shorts. The victim described the male in the front passenger seat as, a white colored male, mid to late 20’s, 5’10, with short blond hair, wearing a white t-shirt and shorts. The victim walked past the van and walked up the north east stairwell of the Parke Avenue Garage. While in the garage, the victim was approached by the male who earlier was in the front passenger seat of the van. The male threatened the victim and demanded the victim surrender his property. The victim turned over his personal property and the suspect then returned to the white colored van. The van was last seen traveling east on Helen Street and South on Mountain Avenue. The van was described as a white colored late model 15 passenger van, with no windows on the side panels and no distinctive markings. No weapon was observed and the victim was not injured. Anyone with information about this incident is requested to call 9-1-1 or 88-CRIME. This is an ongoing investigation and additional information may follow.
The University of Arizona Police Department would like to take this opportunity to remind the community of the following Safety Tips:
- Remain alert and aware of your surroundings and the people in your vicinity at all times.
- Save important phones calls for a later time. Talking on cell phones or using other electronic devices when walking, biking, or driving are distractions and divert your attention away from your surroundings.
- At night, travel in well-lighted areas. Avoid “shortcuts” through dark or deserted areas. Use the buddy system and travel with a group.
- Utilize ASUA Safe Ride for a free way to travel between UA buildings and lots at night. Call: 520-621-SAFE.
- If you feel threatened or suspect you are being followed, walk toward well-lighted areas where there are people. Call 9-1-1 immediately!
- Emergency blue light phones give you direct access to UAPD with the push of a button. Know where they are located at all times.