On February 12, 2015, UAPD received a report of a robbery. UAPD patrol officers responded to the area of 1130 N Mountain and conducted an investigation. The suspect, later identified as Carlos Gallegos (10/02/1993), made some comments about wanting to hold the victims phone, and when she refused Gallegos pulled out and brandished wooden handled weed removal gardening tool. The victim ran away and the police were called. Shortly after receiving this robbery report, UAPD was called to the ASUA Bookstore in reference to a shoplifter in custody. UAPD responded to the bookstore and discovered the shoplifting suspect matched the description of the robbery suspect. Gallegos was positively identified by the victim in this case. Gallegos was charged with Armed Robbery, 13-1904.
UAPD is very thankful for the several tips received. Anyone with information pertaining to this crime or suspect is asked to contact police by dialing 9-1-1 or 88-CRIME.
- The University of Arizona Police Department would like to take this opportunity to remind the community of the following Safety Tips
- Remain alert and aware of your surroundings and the people in your vicinity at all times.
- Save important phones calls for a later time. Talking on cell phones or using other electronic devices when walking, biking, or driving are distractions and divert your attention away from your surroundings.
- At night, travel in well-lighted areas. Avoid “shortcuts” through dark or deserted areas. Use the buddy system and travel with a group
- Utilize ASUA Safe Ride for a free way to travel between UA buildings and lots at night. Call: 520-621-SAFE.
- If you feel threatened or suspect you are being followed, walk toward well-lighted areas where there are people. Call 9-1-1 immediately!
- Emergency blue light phones give you direct access to UAPD with the push of a button. Know where they are located at all times.