On June 21, 2012, at approximately 11:55 p.m., The University of Arizona Police Department responded to a report of gunshots coming from a vehicle in the area of the Park Student Union located in the 600 block of North Park Avenue. Witnesses described seeing a silver Ford Mustang with black decals on the side, and a rear spoiler traveling north on Park Avenue. An occupant was shooting a handgun into the air from inside this vehicle. The driver was described as a white male. The passenger was described as a white male, wearing a black short-sleeved shirt, with black hair or a black cap. The vehicle immediately left the area. No injuries were reported, however during the subsequent investigation, damage to a University of Arizona building was found. Anyone with information about this incident is requested to call 9-1-1 or 88-CRIME.
The University of Arizona Police Department would like to take this opportunity to remind the community of the following Safety Tips:
- Remain alert and aware of your surroundings and the people in your vicinity.
- Save important phones calls for a later time. Talking on cell phones or using other electronic devices when walking, biking, or driving are distractions and divert your attention away from your surroundings.
- At night, travel in well-lighted areas. Avoid “shortcuts” through dark or deserted areas. Use the buddy system and travel with a group.
- Utilize ASUA Safe Ride for a free way to travel between UA buildings and lots at night. Call: 520-621-SAFE.
- If you feel threatened or suspect you are being followed, walk toward well-lighted areas where there are people. Call 9-1-1 immediately!
- Emergency blue light phones give you direct access to UAPD with the push of a button. Know where they are located.
- Never second guess yourself if you think you should call police about a suspicious person, vehicle, or incident. If someone or something gives you a funny feeling or makes you look twice, don’t hesitate to report it to police.